First time watching Reality Bites after the new Stranger Things Season 2. Winona Ryder, Ethan Hawke, Ben Stiller all so young!
Buying a new mac is one of the most exciting things I enjoy. The experience is sacred, since owning a new Mac is far less frequent than switching new phones (not that I switch new iPhone every year). The box-opening is a total satisfaction, a box is slowing sliding down from the cover with friction, and then you see the iconic logo at the center of the beautifully crafted art piece. Seeing the screen lit up for the first time, you almost forget how many junk files you have in your old mac and it has given you a clean slate. A new chance to start over.
I was given two choices.
I can either effortlessly copy everything from the old Mac using Time Machine Backup or set it up as a new Mac. Of course, Time Machine backup guarantees everything will be the same, but old files remain after years of upgrading OS and unused apps.
I picked the latter one.
Set up as a new mac, Always.
- All my working files are stored on either Google Drive or Dropbox. If you are not, you should. It’s 2017. Getting all files and folders sync up shouldn’t be a problem.
- It’s almost time to clean up my Applications & Library folder. This should become a ritual to keep all the good apps and getting rid of the bad ones. Also, the process of typical deleting an app, by throwing the icon into the trash will not clear all its associated files. Library, the one hidden folder (Press Alt when you select Go on the Menu Bar in Finder) that you wouldn’t dare to touch, is also growing bigger after tons of installations all over App Store and the web.
- Taking a closer look at apps that I use every day (Sketch, Quip, Illustrator, Evernote, Todoist, Franz and etc. ) Most of them are either web service based or include export functions for their settings, plugins, templates. Not much effort should I spent on settling down for these apps.
Yet, the biggest challenge in setting up a new mac is still getting the same configurations & settings. iCloud might have sync your calendar, contacts, Safari bookmarks and even your passwords across all Apple’s device. You will still need to perform OS-based settings, install third-party apps and reset their settings all over again. And you should consider this clearly before making the decision.
I made a step-by-step guide just for that purpose:
1. Re-configuring Keyboard Shortcuts
Most preference panel settings are not transferable, so I just have to set it up again. Typically, I switch Spotlight (Command + Space) and Switch Input Method (Alt + Space), because I switch input method more frequent than spotlight.
I’m also heavily addicted to Show Desktop (Command + F3), by dragging screenshots or files from desktop to various windows. The missing F3 key has been replaced by “3” key on my Touch Bar Macbook Pro.
Three-finger Drag weirdly has relegated to Accessibility page since OS X Sierra. You will need select Mouse & Trackpad, and select Trackpad Options, in order to enable the Three-finger Drag.
2. Reinstalling All Applications
Download back all necessary apps from App Store should be easy. Try to recover those you need in daily operation first, but not everything in your purchase record. Next, I download all apps that I’m actively subscribing. Then the third type is those license-code activated apps. I looked over your old email threads and track down license codes. Some of them might have active device limitation, so you might want to unlink from the original Mac as well.
3. Restoring Files and Folder
I use Dropbox and Google Drive to sync all my working files. So it just takes few minutes to set up and some time to download everything back.
4. Taking Control of Menu Bar & Dock Bar
Next thing is getting the menu bar and dock bar in place. Few of my favorites are Hazel, Day-0, Divvy and KeepingYouAwake. Press Command to re-order the menu bar apps position. I hide those apps icon on the menu bar that should have run in the background because menu bar space is too valuable.
A dock serves to load, unload and repair ships. Ships in the dock are there for a reason, they don’t just idle and wait for their next voyage.
Therefore, I try to think of the way I would trigger the app to open. If it was opened by Finder in your project folders or Download folders.(Say some Photoshop file or Illustrator file). Then you actually wouldn’t need to keep it in the Dock.
5. Keep your Desktop & Download folder clean
Your desktop and download folder has given a second chance, I tried my best to keep it clean and tidy. Most things end up in two folders, as I discovered are either screenshots and some temporary files. With the support of custom or even nest rules, I find Hazel, created by Noodlesoft, is an excellent file processing tool to automate your workflow.
Two rules that I relied on every day :
- Daily Cleaning up Screenshots
I use Mac’s default screenshot tools every day, saving them on the desktop is very handy. But they should put in a folder after a day.
2. Daily Categorizing Download files
Most people’s Download folder is a mess, it won’t happen if you use Hazel to categorize your downloaded files. I create multiple rules according to file type (pictures, videos, disk images etc). And I usually would add an exclusion rule for files that were downloaded within today so I can still locate them right after
6. One More Thing, Backup
If you haven’t recovered your Mac from Time Machine backup, you’ll need to set up the Time Machine backup again. Apple has made the process so easy, you should instantly grab an external hard disk to perform a backup. Time Machine backup are safety precautions, even your new Mac probably won’t have any hardware failure any time soon.
To wrap up, treasure the time you have start off fresh with your new Mac. If you have more hacks to share with me, please feel free to leave a comment.
Throw back my trip to Turkey in 2015. We visited Istanbul and also Kayersi, the middle part of Turkey. A more popular name travelers go by is Cappadocia. A rare spot in the world that could see so many hot air balloons every morning. Hot air balloon there is a once-in-a-lifetime experience, from transportation, debriefing with breakfast, taking off and touching down. A medal that we received as a token is still hanging in my room.
Lighting up the hot air balloon to go upward
I would say there are too many logos in Turkey's hot air balloons.
We also visited Gorome Open Air Museum, various rock formation are gathered in one place. There’s no another landscape in the world that Cappadocia looks alike. It almost feel like an alien planet.
Goreme Open Air Museum
Pigeon Valley is peaceful spot to visit in October.
Souvenir that is too big too carry back home. I bought a small one instead.
There is no subway system in the world like the one in Stockholm. Standing on the platform, you feel like an audience more than a commuter, enjoying the largest underground art collections.
Odenplan station would be one of my highlights of my stay in Stockholm. The new commuter rail station was opened in 2017 July, right under the metro station. It features a stunning installation crafted by David Svensson, capturing the essence of a busy city ever could be.
David Svensson’s “Life Line”
Svensson celebrates the birth of his baby and used his very own heartbeat to create illuminated lines in the escalating corridors between lower and upper platform. You might need to walk across the commuter rail platform if you are on the wrong side of the station. Ask for help from any friendly metro staff for directions.
Snapshots inspired by the streets and cafes in Reykjavik, a walkable city which happens to be the most northern capital in the world.
After exciting experiment news from Elon Musk’s underground transportation concept few months ago. Elon Musk has not rest to solve all mankind transportation problems. In International Astronautical Congress in Australia this year, Musk announced his Mars Plan in details and a new transport system codenamed “BFR”.
In the concept video, SpaceX’s reusable rocket will be used to travel within Earth, most long journey will be within 30 mins. Passengers will get on a shuttle ship from major city to the launching platform. One of the most exciting remarks of this announcement, is cost per seat “about the same as full fare economy in an aircraft.”
| Watch Concept Video by SpaceX
Unsplash is one of the most popular license free photo sharing platform in the world. They have recently launched a Mac menu bar app that brings their enormous catalog of stunning wallpapers to everyone’s desktop. More features like login, custom collections are expected to come in the future.
macOS High Sierra will be released on September 25. Warning to users of Final Cut Studio and Logic Studio, due to compatibility issues, both apps will not be supported in this release of macOS. (Engadget: Latest macOS kills pro video editor favorite Final Cut Pro 7) You should also check out 32-bit app compatibility as well before you upgrade
Make sure to check out the following list, sorted by my excitement level:
- Safari should be way faster, autoplay blocking for audio and video is all I ever wanted and cross-site tracking from web ads can be blocked as well. (Advertising groups have protested over this feature, which probably means Apple is doing the right thing).
- Faster copy and reboot time as Apple switch to a new file format system (APFS). But there might be a potential danger in old HSF+ format especially for Bootcamp and Time Machine users.
- Photos app is more powerful and built with more edit tools like curves edit and preview live photos.
- You can copy files from one mac to another by pressing Command + C and V, as a part of the Continuity features (as long as both Mac are on High Sierra, not too old, same iCloud, Wifi and Blutooth turned on. More details at iMore)
- You can capture live photos during a FaceTime video call.
- You can pin notes by swiping notes right in the Notes app.
- You can check your flight by typing flight number in Spotlight.
Great news! A trailer of Wes Anderson’s upcoming stop-motion movie has released this week. After his great work in “Fantastic Mr. Fox”. New trailer announcement reminds us the awesome aesthetic and cinematography in Anderson’s style. All-star voice cast for sure as a tradition of Wes’s movie, including Bryan Cranston, Edward Norton, Ken Watanabe, Greta Gerwig, Scarlett Johansson, Tilda Swinton and of coz his’ favorite Bill Murray. Movie is schedule to release in 2018 March.
| Fox Searchlight, Watch Trailer Now